The Chamber of Architects in Bulgaria (CAB) is the professional organisation of architects, landscape architects and urban planners who have obtained design capacity in spatial development planning and investment design, established under the Law of the Chambers of Architects and Engineers in the Investment Design. The Chamber of Architects in Bulgaria presented by the Chairman of the its Managing Board is the competent authority for recognition of professional qualification of architects under the National Law on the Recognition of Professional Qualification and on the Directive 2005/36/EC.
CAB is legal entity with headquarter in Sofia. It performs its activities on the territory of the country by Regional Colleges, constituted in a mode and terms, regulated by the Law of the Chambers of Architects and Engineers in the Investment Design and under the provisions of the Chamber's Statute. The managing bodies of CAB on national level are: The General Assembly and the Managing Board. The Chamber represented by the Chairman of the Managing Board.
I.According to the Nationa Law on the Recognition of Professional Qualification and to the Directive 2005/36/EC
CAB presented by the Chairman of the Managing Board endorsed by a Expert Committee shall :
1. recognize the professional qualifications for the profession of architect of professionals from Member States or from third countries for the purpose of pursuing this regulated profession within the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria.
2. exchange information and work in close cooperation with respective competent authorities of the other Member States and if necessary with the competent authority of third countries regarding disciplinary, administrative or criminal sanctions related to the pursuit of the profession or any other circumstances which are likely to have consequences on the pursuit of the activities under this Act.
3. provide assistance (in form of opinion, position, answering to questionnaires and statistical information) to the Bulgarian Ministry of Education as a national coordinator, to the competent authorities of other countries, to ENACA, Working Groups of ACE, to the European Commission and the Council of Europe in order to facilitate the implementation of the relevant directives of EU.
4. provide citizens and contact persons of the other Member States with the required information related to the professional qualifications recognition including information on the national provisions concerning the regulated professions and their pursuit, the social security legislation and ethical standards.
I.According to the National Law of the Chamber of Architects and Engineers in the Investment Design:
1. represent its members and protect their professional rights and interests in compliance with the interests of society.
2. prepare a Code of Professional Conduct of the architects, landscape architects and urban planners monitor its observance.
3. not allow monopoly, unfair practice and unequal treatment of its members.
4. create conditions for the client/investor/ to chose freely architects, landscape architects, urban planners.
5. work for the protection of the copyrights of architects, landscape architects, urban planners on the design and its practical realisation in compliance with the legislation in the field of copyright and neighbouring rights in force in the Republic of Bulgaria.
6. prepare and offer opinions on statutory acts related to spatial development planning, investment design and construction works.
7. support competitiveness in the design activities.
8. cooperate with similar chambers (professional organisations) at European and international level.
9. cooperate with higher education institutions training architects, landscape architects and urban planners by participating, through its representatives, in the development of curricula and syllabi as well as in the state examination committees according to the terms and conditions determined in cooperation agreements signed by them.
10. determine work rules and procedure and shall assist in the provision of practice of the designers with limited design capacity.
11. perform all other activities foreseen in the Statute of the Chamber.
12. organise and deliver continuing training in order to maintain and further improve the professional qualification and design capacity of architects, landscape architects and urban planners.
In order to attain the main objectives stipulated above CAB shall :
1. maintain and update registers of the persons with full design capacity, which shall be annually promulgated in the State Gazette (SG).
2. maintain and update the registers of the design studios.
3. maintain and update the register of designers with limited design capacity.
4. issue certificates for the respective design capacity.
5. supervise the performance of the professional duties of their members and impose sanctions envisaged in the present Act.
6. assist for the settlement of disputes arising between their members and between their members and third parties.
7. adopt methodology for determination of the remunerations for provision of design services.
11, rue Krakra - 1504 Sofia
Phone: +359 2 943 83 21
Fax: +359 2 943 83 49
Status: UAB is a non-profit legal entity, established under the Law on Non-profit Legal Entities. UAB is a voluntary creative-professional organization of architects, regardless of their activity, which operates in accordance with the laws of Republic of Bulgaria and in the context of its Statute.
Structure: The Union of Architects in Bulgaria has territorial sub-divisions (branches and regional unions) formed on territorial principle and on creative-professional basis. The managing bodies of UAB on a national level are as follows: General Assembly, President and Managing Board elected by the General Assembly, Permanent Commissions, established to assist the Managing Board.
Role: In its activities UAB is guided by the following objectives:
1. To assert the authority of the architect, the architectural profession and architecture in society.
2. To develop, protect and promote in practice modern architectural ideas and values.
3. To promote the sustainable development of the built environment, human settlements and territories.
4. To promote the preservation and development of the Bulgarian architectural identity and architectural heritage.
5. To participate in the development of laws and regulations related to architecture, urban planning, architectural education and architectural heritage.
6. To protect and support creatively, professionally and socially its members; to develop and support their contacts with each other and with architects from other countries.
7. To develop architectural culture in society and to create active public attitude towards architecture.
UAB is a member of the Iternational Union of Architects (UIA)
Membership (latest data): 1722 members - 898 active architects, 824 retired architects.
Most of the active architects and certain number of the retired architects are members of CAB (statistics not kept).
|Protection of the title of architect||Yes|
|Protection of the function of architects||No|
|Professional title||3 114 architects, including:|
- 2374 architects with full design capacity
- 256 architects with limited design capacity
- 484 architects with frozen tight to practice the profession
238 landscape architects, including:
- 215 landscape architects with full design capacity
- 23 landscape architects with limited design capacity
7 urban planner, including:
- 3 urban planner with full design capacity
- 4 urban planner with limited design capacity
6 honorary members
|If yes, Where ?||Chamber of Architects in Bulgaria (CAB)|
|Competent authority||The President of the Chamber of Architects in Bulgaria (CAB) according to the professional qualification recognition Act. The profession “architect” is regulated by the Law on the Chambers of Architects and Engineers in the Investment Design, sectoral and observed.|
- Academic training of a minimum of 5 years plus a diploma project assessed by a state commission
- Compulsory professional experience of 2 years minimum as employee under an employment contract with a designer with full design capacity or four years as a freelance designer – for full designing capacity.
- Professional assessment by a jury of the Chamber of Architects.
- Compulsory registration in the Chamber of Architects in Bulgaria.
- Continued training: not compulsory.
No national document
The professional education is gained under the Law of Higher Education and qualification – under the Law of the Chambers of Architects and Engineers in the Investment Design. Relevant regulatories, concerning the architectural practice are : the Law on Development of Territory, Law on Regional Development, Law on Cultural Heritage with their ordinances, Law on the Recognition of Professional Qualification and others.
|Additional compulsory practical training- internship|
- Academic training of a minimum of 5 years plus a diploma project assessed by a state commission
|Requirement for undertaking a period of traineeship||Evidence of formal qualification (Magister-Diploma) as an architect issued after passed exam and diploma-project by notified high school for architecture. |
|Period of traineeship supervised (overseen)||2 years after receiving an evidence of formal qualification (Magister-Diploma) issued by notified High school for architecture|
|By who||Under an employment contract with a designer with full design capacity|
|Practical training period||Compulsory professional experience of 2 years minimum as employee under an employment contract with a designer with full design capacity or four years as a freelance designer – for full designing capacity|
|Where?||Member States of EU, EEP, Swiss|
|To which conditions||Under an employment contract with a designer with full design capacity or as freelancer|
|Number of hours per month required ||22 days x 8 hours = 175 hours/month|
|Compulsory Professional examination||No|
|Complementary professional education||Not compulsory|
|Remuneration of the Traineeship||Yes, by the employee|
|Specific supplementary courses organised||Yes|
|Model form of contract available||No|
|Traineeship and practical experience undertaken abroad taken into account ||Yes|
|Evaluation of the Traineeship||Yes – for practical experience undertaken abroad|
|Evaluation method used||According to Directive 2005/36/EC|
Yes, according to:
- Law on Spatial Planning
- Regulation on the conditions and procedures for compulsory insurance in the design and construction
|Does a system of CPD for architects exists in your country ?||Yes|
|If yes: |
- Is it compulsory ?
- Is it encouraged ?
- Is it free ?
|If it is compulsory,|
is it required by law,
or by a Code of Conduct ?
|If it is regulated, who regulates the system:|
a professional body,
a governmental body,
a combination of the two ?
|Is it organised ?||Yes|
|Who provides the courses:||Universities, ministries, CAB, UAB and other authorized bodies (associations, etc.)|
|What level of training is provided:||Post-graduate|
|Are certain subjects mandatory ?||Related to the Bulgarian legislation and regulations|
|What types of activities or provisions are accepted :||Lectures, practical courses, seminars, case-studies|
|Do you have any evaluation criteria for the CPD material ?||Depends – yes, if for second master degree, or licensing|
|Who recognize (accredits) these trainings :||Ministries and providers of courses|
|Development of the trainings :|
A. Estimated number of courses / year
B. Estimated number of participants / y
C. Estimated lesson hours / year
|Depends – yes for A and C, if under evaluation criteria|
|Level of requirements for the architects :||Depends – for some is obligatory the evidence of bachelor or (first) master degree|
|Is this required level validated or checked and how:|
A. Not requested,
B. Self-assessment of value,
C. Attendance tracking,
D. Self-assessment using self-test,
E. By regular checks,
H. Others means (e.g. electronic monitoring) ?
|Not requested; validated and initially checked if under evaluation criteria|
|Is training (provision) delivered abroad accepted ?||Yes|
|What kind of sanction is applied for the non-compliance with CPD obligation:|
C. Expulsion from the register,
D. Other ?
|Do you have a database of the content of your CPD Programme ?||Yes – for some|
What requirements must a European architects fulfil to practice in this country ?
Diploma (Master degree) in architecture, recognized by the Chamber of Architects in Bulgaria, registration in the Chamber of Architects as a competent authority for architecture.