|Protection of the title of architect||No|
|Protection of the function of architects||No|
|Professional title||Arkkitehti (Architect)|
The profession is not regulated
|If yes, Where ?|
|Competent authority||There is no compulsory registration.|
Over 70% of Finnish architects are members of the voluntary professional association, Suomen Arkkitehtiliitto – Finlands Arkitektförbund ry (SAFA) – the Finnish Association of Architects.
Show the legend
The sign for the compulsury entrance examination missing !
Universities (training offering a good balance between theory and practice in Aalto University in Helsinki, the Tampere University of Technology and in the University of Oulu)
- Academic training of 3 years (with practical internship during the studies, but not compulsory)
- Degree: Bachelor of Science (B.Sc. in Architecture).
- Academic training of 2 years
- Degree of Master of Science (M.Sc. in Architecture).
- PhD in 3-4 years
- Continued training: not compulsory.
UAS (more practical training aimed at “assistant architects”):
- This education ceased in 1996
- Academic training of 4 years in polytechnic Schools
- Degree: Rakennusarkkitehti
- Continued training: not compulsory
- Despite the fact that the profession is not regulated, architects can register voluntarily on a professional register. The register is maintained by FISE – Qualification of Professionals in Building, HVAC and Real Estate Sector in Finland and operated by the Finnish Association of Architects (SAFA). The following conditions are imposed upon the applicants:
- Masters degree in Architecture from a university or a technical university or Rakennusarkkitehti degree from a polytechnic school.
- Professional experience of 3 years with a complementary professional training of 15 to 35 hours per year. There is no examination.
- Registration has to be reviewed every seventh year, CPD is required for renewal of registration
- Local building control authorities make the assessment of the architect’s competence as a part of every building permit process. This assessment is carried out in accordance with the requirements of the project. The categorised requirements can be found in the national Building Code of Finland – A2 Building designers and plans; Regulations and guidelines 2002.
(new legislation in 2014)
|Duration of academic education||5 years|
|Additional compulsory practical training- internship||No|
|Requirement for undertaking a period of traineeship|
|Period of traineeship supervised (overseen) |
By who ?
|Practical training period|
To which conditions
|Number of hours per month required|
|Compulsory Professional examination||No|
|Complementary professional education||No|
|Remuneration of the Traineeship|
|Specific supplementary courses organised|
|Model form of contract available|
|Traineeship and practical experience undertaken abroad taken into account|
|Evaluation of the Traineeship|
|Evaluation method used|
10 yearsRead the insurance sheet
|Does a system of CPD for architects exists in your country ?||Yes|
|If yes: |
- Is it compulsory ?
- Is it encouraged ?
- Is it free ?
|If it is compulsory,|
is it required by law,
or by a Code of Conduct ?
|If it is regulated, who regulates the system:|
a professional body,
a governmental body,
a combination of the two ?
|Is it organised ?||On a national scale|
|Who provides the courses:||Professional/architects’ bodies; schools of architecture; other institutions or firms|
|What level of training is provided:||General awareness; Regulation and legislation, Detailed knowledge, others|
|Are certain subjects mandatory ?||No|
|What types of activities or provisions are accepted :|
|Do you have any evaluation criteria for the CPD material ?||No|
|Who recognize (accredits) these trainings :|
|Development of the trainings :|
A. Estimated number of courses / year
B. Estimated number of participants / year
C. Estimated lesson hours / year
|Level of requirements for the architects :|
|Is this required level validated or checked and how:|
A. Not requested,
B. Self-assessment of value,
C. Attendance tracking,
D. Self-assessment using self-test,
E. By regular checks,
H. Others means (e.g. electronic monitoring) ?
|Is training (provision) delivered abroad accepted ?|
|What kind of sanction is applied for the non-compliance with CPD obligation:|
C. Expulsion from the register,
D. Other ?
|Expulsion from the voluntary register FISE|
|Do you have a database of the content of your CPD Programme ?||No|