ACE Member Organisation


Str. Pictor Arthur Verona nr. 19
010312 Bucharest 1 - Romania
Phone : +40 21 317 26 34
Fax : +40 21 317 26 35
Email : office(at)
Website :


Professional title

Protection of the title “Architect”Yes
Protection of the function of ArchitectsYes

Professional title

Mandatory Registration


If yes, Where?

Architects' Chamber of Romania OAR

str. Pictor Arthur Verona, 19 - 010312 Bucarest 1

Phone : +40 21 317 26 34

Fax : +40 21 317 26 35

Email : office.oar(at)rdslink(dot)ro

Website :

Competent authority

Architects' Chamber of Romania OAR

str. Pictor Arthur Verona, 19 - 010312 Bucarest 1

Phone : +40 21 317 26 34

Fax : +40 21 317 26 35

Email : office.oar(at)rdslink(dot)ro

Website :

Access to the profession: How to become an architect in this country?

Basic Programme:

-     Official entrance examination

-    Academic training of 6 years (360 ECTS) = 4 years of Bachelor’s + 2 years of Master’s

-     Period of compulsory professional experience of 2 years

-     Compulsory -     Compulsory registration with the Union of Architects of Romania.

-     Continued training: not compulsory.

• Variants:

-     Training in 6 years with, in the last year, an in-office internship of 3 months + 2 months of management courses + 4 months of a degree project (?)

-    Professional experience period of 6 months to 2 years (Note: a vocational Master’s degree can be endorsed as an internship)

-     It is also possible to do a doctorate in 4 years.

Academic education

Entrance examinations

Yes (25% success rate)

Duration of academic education

6 years

Certificate of end of studies is delivered by an end-of-studies jury composed of 32 persons, of whom 50% are foreign members (with at least one American and one Asian member). This jury also includes a representative of the professional Chamber.


Additional compulsory practical training- internship

2 years

In accordance with the provisions of the Law 184/2001, Bachelor studies graduates have the right to do architectural designs but are not allowed to sign and stamp them with their own name. They can do that only after completing their 2 years professional practice and passing the exam for acquiring their professional license (right of signature)

Is there a requirement to undertake a period of compulsory practical training (traineeship) in your country?

Period of traineeship supervised (overseen)


By who

Mixed supervision under the control of the Order and the profession (in contribution of 160 hours per month). This period can be reduced to 1 year if the candidate has a Doctorate. The supervising architect must have at least 5 years of professional practice in architectural design.

Where does the traineeship take place?

Under what conditions?


Within an architects’ office with minimum 5 years’ experience


Number of hours per month required


Compulsory Professional examination


Evaluation on the basis of an oral examination and the candidate’s portfolio. If the candidate fails, he/she can retake the examination as often as he/she wishes (every 3 months).

Complementary professional education


Remuneration of the Traineeship

Yes, at the minimum wage

Is the trainee monitored?



Specific supplementary courses organised

YES, occasionally


Model form of contract available


Traineeship and practical experience undertaken abroad taken into account


Evaluation of the Traineeship

Yes (every 6 months )

Evaluation method used

Final evaluation

Log book, documents provided by employers, presentation of portfolio, and by passing a final examination.
Appeal possible in case of refusal

Liability and Insurance

Obligation to carry insurance.

Continuous Professional Development

Does a system of CPD for architects exists in your country?


If yes:

Is it compulsory?

Is it encouraged?

is it free?

It is encouraged and partially free

If it is compulsory,
- is it required by law,
- is it required by a Code of Conduct



If it is regulated, who regulates the system:
- a professional body,
- a governmental body,
- a combination of the two?

It is regulated by a professional body

Is it structured / organised?

It is structured and organised at OAR level


Who provides the courses?

Professional/architects’ bodies

Schools of architecture

Other institutions or firms

What level of training is provided:

General awareness; Regulation and legislation, Detailed knowledge; Advanced knowledge ; Local issues

Are certain subjects mandatory ?


What types of activities or provisions are accepted ?

In/formal training 
Accredited courses (by ANCP and Ministry of Education)

Conferences, presentations, workshops excursions, visits, summer schools, activity within architectural biannual etc.

Do you have any evaluation criteria for the CPD material ?


Who recognize (accredits) these trainings :


Development of the trainings :


A. Estimated number of courses / year

2-4 courses / year

B. Estimated number of participants / y

90 participants / year

C. Estimated lesson hours / year

80 hours / year

Level of requirements for the architects :

24 credits/year


Is this required level validated or checked and how:


A. Not requested,


B. Self-assessment of value,

Self-assessment of value

C. Attendance tracking,

Attendance tracking

D. Self-assessment using self-test,


E. By regular checks,


F. Examination,


G. Thesis,


H. Others means (e.g. electronic monitoring)?


Is training (provision) delivered abroad accepted?


What kind of sanction is applied for the non-compliance with CPD obligation:


A. none,


B.  Reprimand,


C. Expulsion from the register,


D. Other ?


Do you have a database of the content of your CPD Programme ?



Requirements to practice in this country

What requirements must a European architect fulfil to practice in this country?


Architects shall acquire the signature right granted by OAR, in accordance with law, if they have the full exercise of their civil rights, if they meet the good repute requirements and those related to the professional traineeship or, if the case may be, they have the practical professional experience. Prior to acquiring the signature right, the diploma awarded in an architectural institution of the EU, EEA Member States or the Swiss Confederation will be recognized on the territory of Romania by the National Commission for the Recognition of Qualifications (CNRC):

Architectural policy

Does your country have an Architectural Policy?


If yes can you give us the reference?


architects in europe

Back to top