Back to map

ACE Member Organisation

The Union of Estonian Architects

 Estonian Association of Architects  (EAL)


Lai 31 - EE - 10133 Tallinn
Phone: + 372 611 7430
Fax: + 372611 7431
Email: info(at)arhliit(dot)ee


Professional title

Protection of the title of architectNO
Protection of the function of architectsYes
Professional title Architect, DA7 (Diploma Architect, level 7), VA7 (Chartered architect, level 7), VAE8 (Chartered/Principal Architect, level 8)
Mandatory RegistrationYES, for design of buildings subject to a building permit (DA7 (particularly), VA7, VAE8)
Competent authority

Estonian Association of Architects EAA

Põhja pst 27a - EE - 10415 Tallinn - Estonia
Téléphone : + 372 611 7430

Email : info(at)arhliit(dot)ee
Site web :

Kutsekoda / Estonian Qualifications Authority
Mustamäe tee 16
10617 Tallinn, Estonia
Téléphone :+372 679 1700
Email :kutsekoda(at)kutsekoda(dot)ee
Site web :

Access to the profession: How to become an architect in this country ?

Show the legend

- No entrance examination

- Academic training: 5 years
- Qualification: University Master's degree (Diploma Architect).
- Compulsory professional experience of 3 years  for architects “Chartered” by the professional organization (EAA), except for architects in civil service.
- No compulsory professional examination
- Compulsory registration on the Register of Economic Activities for design of buildings subject to a building permit.
- Continued training : not compulsory.


Additional compulsory practical training- internshipCompulsory professional experience of 3 years for architects “Chartered” by the professional organization (EAA)
Requirement for undertaking a period of traineeship
Period of traineeship supervised (overseen)
By who ?
Practical training period
Where ?
To which conditions
Number of hours per month required
Compulsory Professional examinationNo
Complementary professional education
Remuneration of the Traineeship
Trainee accompanied 
Specific supplementary courses organised
Model form of contract available 
Traineeship and practical experience undertaken abroad taken into account
Evaluation of the Traineeship
Evaluation method used 

Liability and insurance

Are Architects obligation to carry insurance?


Legal Basis:
- what are the most commonly used Term and Conditions:


Professional civil liability insurance -


"Covers loss or damage that you or your company have caused to third parties with your professional activity (e.g. incorrect engineering design, medical mistreatment, loss or damage arising in consequence of illegal activity of a bailiff)."

What are the requirements for obtaining  Insurance?



How are insurance premiums calculated?



What forms of Insurance contract exist:



Insurances / Agents:



Continuous Professional Development

Does a system of CPD for architects exists in your country ?No
If yes:
- Is it compulsory ?
- Is it encouraged ?
- Is it free ?
If it is compulsory,
is it required by law,
or by a Code of Conduct ?
If it is regulated, who regulates the system:
a professional body,
a governmental body,
a combination of the two ?

Is it organised ? 
Who provides the courses:
What level of training is provided:
Are certain subjects mandatory ?
What types of activities or provisions are accepted : 
Do you have any evaluation criteria for the CPD material ?
Who recognize (accredits) these trainings :
Development of the trainings :
A. Estimated number of courses / year
B. Estimated number of participants / year
C. Estimated lesson hours / year
Level of requirements for the architects :
Is this required level validated or checked and how:
A. Not requested,
B. Self-assessment of value,
C. Attendance tracking,
D. Self-assessment using self-test,
E. By regular checks,
F. Examination,
G. Thesis,
H. Others means (e.g. electronic monitoring) ?

Is training (provision) delivered abroad accepted ? 
What kind of sanction is applied for the non-compliance with CPD obligation:
A. None,
B.  Reprimand,
C. Expulsion from the register,
D. Other ?
Do you have a database of the content of your CPD Programme ?

Requirements to practice in this country

What requirements must a European architects fulfil to practice in this country ?

Recognition of Foreign Professional Qualifications Act



architects in europe

Back to top