ACE Member Organisation



 12-4° Paseo de la Castellana - E - 28046 Madrid 

Phone : + 34 91 435 22 00Fax : + 34 91 575 38 39

Email : internacional(at)cscae(dot)com

Website : 

Head of the delegation : Lluis Comerón Graupera 

President : Lluis Comerón Graupera




Protection of the title of architectYES
Protection of the function of architectsYES

Mandatory Registration?

If yes, Where? 

One of the 30 Orders of Architects

Competent authorityFor the Degree, the Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte (Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports). For practising the profession, the Ministerio de Fomento (Ministry of Development) in collaboration with the Consejo Superior de los Colegios de Arquitectos de España (Higher Council of Architects)

Access to the profession: How to become an architect in this country ?

6 years of study at university level
Qualified as Architect

No professional experience required.
Compulsory registration with the Colegio de Arquitectos 
Continued training: not compulsory.

academic education

Entrance examinationsNo
Duration of academic education• Architect in charge of the project: 
- Academic training of 6 years for architects in charge of projects (the training given in the schools of architecture is not solely artistic and general, but also very technical, because there are no building engineers in Spain). - Degree in Architecture. 
- No professional experience required. 
- Compulsory registration with the Colegio de Arquitectos 
- Continued training: not compulsory. 


Additional compulsory practical training- internshipNo
Requirement for undertaking a period of traineeshipNo
Period of traineeship supervised (overseen) By whoNo
Practical training period Where? To which conditions
Number of hours per month required
Compulsory Professional examinationNo
Complementary professional education
Remuneration of the TraineeshipNo
Trainee accompaniedNo
Specific supplementary courses organisedYes
Model form of contract availableNo
Traineeship and practical experience undertaken abroad taken into accountYes
Evaluation of the TraineeshipNo
Evaluation method used

Liability and insurance

Read the insurance sheet

Continuous Professional Development

Does a system of CPD for architects exists in your countryYes
If yes:
Is it compulsory?
Is it encouraged?
is it free?

Not all CPD is free
If it is compulsory:
is it required by law,
or by a Code of Conduct ?

If it is regulated, who regulates the system:
a professional body,
a governmental body,
a combination of the two ?
A professional body
Is it organised?Yes, on a regional scale
Who provides the courses:Professional/architects’ bodies; schools of architecture; other institutions or firms and authorities
What level of training is provided:General awareness; Regulation and legislation, Detailed knowledge; Advanced knowledge ; Local issues
Are certain subjects mandatory ?No
What types of activities or provisions are accepted :Recognised courses; other courses; Workshop; Presentations; Excursions or visits; Electronic means
Do you have any evaluation criteria for the CPD material ?Yes
Who recognize (accredits) these trainings :The courses’ providers
Development of the trainings :
A. Estimated number of courses / year
B. Estimated number of participants / y
C. Estimated lesson hours / year
25-100 Courses / year
1850 participants / year
1950 lesson hours / year
Level of requirements for the architects :
Is this required level validated or checked and how:
A. Not requested,
B. Self-assessment of value,
C. Attendance tracking,
D. Self-assessment using self-test,
E. By regular checks,
F. Examination,
G. Thesis,
H. Others means (e.g. electronic monitoring)?
Self-assessment of value By regular checks
Is training (provision) delivered abroad accepted?Yes
What kind of sanction is applied for the non-compliance with CPD obligation:
A. none,
B. Reprimand,
C. Expulsion from the register,
D. Other ?
Do you have a database of the content of your CPD Programme ?Yes

Requirements to practice in this country

What requirements must a European architects fulfil to practice in your country? (for example: diploma, registration with a competent authority, etc)
PQD (2005/36/EC)

architects in europe

Back to top