|Protection of the title of architect||Yes|
|Protection of the function of architects||Yes|
|Professional title||Architect or Architect-engineer|
|If yes, Where ?||Conseil National de l’Ordre des Architectes (CNOA)|
Show the legend
• Baccalaureate 3 years + Masters 2 years
• Final examination of the academic training giving access to the diploma
• 2 Years Professional training (compulsory) - Possibility of extension (additional 6 months or 1 year if necessary)
|Additional compulsory practical training- internship||2 Years (can be extended 6 months or 1 year). To be started within the 5 years following the qualification.|
|Requirement for undertaking a period of traineeship||Final Diploma or Foreign Diploma |
|Period of traineeship supervised (overseen)||Yes|
• The PPE mentor must be registered with the Order for more than 10 years.
• The aspiring architect must often carries out his/her PPE under the status of independent
• No examination, but a follow-up conducted by a PPE committee belonging to the Council of the Order
|By who||Conseil National de l’Ordre des Architectes (CNOA)|
|Practical training period||24 months (minimum + 6 months or 1 year if necessary) with period of 6 months minimum|
Other actors (companies, manufacturers, contractors) - Possible 6 months maximum
|To which conditions||Minimum 10 years experience for the employers - mentor|
Maximum 2 trainees per mentor
Employers - mentors need to be registered
|Number of hours per month required ||120 hours per month|
|Compulsory Professional examination||No|
|Complementary professional education||No|
|Remuneration of the Traineeship||Yes (12-15 €/hour gross)|
|Trainee accompanied||Yes by a steward from the Order|
|Specific supplementary courses organised||No|
|Model form of contract available||Yes|
|Traineeship and practical experience undertaken abroad taken into account experience||Yes|
|Evaluation of the Traineeship||Yes, every 6-9 months|
|Evaluation method used||- Document provided by employers |
- Presentation of a portofolio (possible)
- Submission of certification that experience has been gained (possible)
- No examination
- On the francophone side, each of the Superior Institutes of Architecture (ISA) have joined since September 2010 a university within a new department (faculty) of architecture. The Architect-engineers, for their part, belong (like other engineers) to faculties of Applied Sciences (except at the UCL where they have joined the new department of Architecture).
- On the Flemish side, the Institutes of Architecture were integrated in the (multidisciplinary) “grandes écoles”, while Architect-engineers are trained by three universities.
- Civil engineers working in construction can also practise as architects if they have carried out their professional internship of two years (but they are not recognized at European level).
- In some local Councils (level of Belgian “province”), specialised internships (for example in a company) or certain training courses can sometimes be taken into account as part of the work experience (6 months maximum). The internship must be monitored by an internship mentor that complies with the legal requirements.
- It must be pointed out that from the beginning of his/her traineeship, the trainee can already take some personal project in charge.
10 years (counted from acceptance) + non-contractual liability of 20 years.
A civil liability insurance is compulsory (imposed by the law and the Code of Conduct)
|Does a system of CPD for architects exists in your country ?||No but it is expect for soon|
|If yes: |
- Is it compulsory ?
- Is it encouraged ?
- Is it free ?
|It is encouraged and will be compulsory soon. Some CPD course are free|
|If it is compulsory,|
is it required by law,
or by a Code of Conduct ?
|It will be required (soon) by the Code of Conduct|
|If it is regulated, who regulates the system:|
a professional body,
a governmental body,
a combination of the two ?
|The regulation will be taken in charge by the two sides (Fr and NL) of the order|
|Is it organised ?||Regional scale (FR and NL)|
|Who provides the courses:||Professional / Architects’ bodies, Schools of architecture, Other institutions or firms, etc.|
|What level of training is provided:||General awareness (keeping up to date), |
Regulations and legislation,
Local issues, etc.
|Are certain subjects mandatory ?||No|
|What types of activities or provisions are accepted :||Recognised courses,|
Excursions or visits, etc.
|Do you have any evaluation criteria for the CPD material ?||No|
|Who recognize (accredits) these trainings :||Actually nobody but it will be recognised soon by the two sides of the Order|
|Development of the trainings :|
A. Estimated number of courses / year
B. Estimated number of participants / y
C. Estimated lesson hours / year
|Level of requirements for the architects :||16 hours / year|
|Is this required level validated or checked and how:|
A. Not requested,
B. Self-assessment of value,
C. Attendance tracking,
D. Self-assessment using self-test,
E. By regular checks,
H. Others means (e.g. electronic monitoring) ?
|Is training (provision) delivered abroad accepted ?||Yes|
|What kind of sanction is applied for the non-compliance with CPD obligation:|
C. Expulsion from the register,
D. Other ?
|Do you have a database of the content of your CPD Programme ?||No|